Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Risks: Drowning, Becoming a Redneck, Crushing Skull on Giant Rocks, Having Spontaneous Fun, etc.

Exhilarating. Calming. Chilly. Warm. Scary. Fun. Exciting. Enjoyable... White water rafting was all of these things and more.

I could cross this one off my list twice. I went white water rafting twice and they were very different experiences. The first time I went, I organized a group of friends for a nice June day on the Shenandoah River. The river had rapids up to Class III. White water rapids are defined by numbers between I and VI, I being a slight bump in the river and VI being deadly and dangerous. I thought Class III rapids would be fun for a group of first-timers.

It turned out to just be a nice, relaxing day on the river. It was a beautiful summer day; the sun was shining and the trees were fresh and green. The rapids were easy and it felt like we were on a kiddie roller coaster. I was with a great group of friends and we laughed, joked, and sang as we paddled down the river.

My boat, right as the other boat of my friends dumped water on us.

The other, evil boat of my friends! haha


On the last rapid, a Class III, our guide asked if anyone wanted to "Ride the Bull." Me being me, of course I jumped up and volunteered. "Riding the Bull" meant that I had to sit on the front of the raft, cling to a rope, and yell "YEE HAW!!!" while going over the level 3 rapid. I made it through the rapid but then leaned too far forward right after it and wound up taking a nose-dive right into the river haha.

Me "riding the bull!"

White water rafting, on this section of the Shenandoah River, felt like play time. The only time I was even a little nervous on this trip was when we stopped on the side of the river and went cliff jumping off of a 30 foot cliff! Now THAT was scary!

The second time I went white water rafting, I was with a group of boys. My friend and his fraternity brother were organizing a white water rafting trip in West Virginia and of course I wanted to go! I didn't even realize I was the only girl until we were on our way to the campsite. It was a chilly October evening when we got to the camping grounds near the Upper Gauley River. It was freezing! The boys attempted to make a fire but the wood was damp and it didn't work very well so we wound up cuddling in the tents haha. I love camping but this was an interesting camp site... we had a biker gang on one side of us, and Steelers fans who got into a screaming match at 4am on the other side.

We woke up early the next morning and walked over to the white water rafting company. We met our guide, Eddie, signed our lives away on the waivers, got a few instructions, and went down to the river, ready to battle some Class V rapids!!! It was a chilly, beautiful fall morning. The leaves were changing and the river was running high and fast.

And yes, I was terrified... excited but scared! We went over some small, Class III rapids and it was fun. Then our Eddie the Guide warned us that some big rapids were coming up and we should get ready! Words can't even describe what we went through so just look at the pictures... laugh, gasp, squeal!


It was an amazing experience. Our guide purposely flipped the boat on a small rapid, and then the entire boat, including Eddie the Guide, fell out on a bigger rapid when we got stuck on a rock. But those were the only times I fell out! I was so proud of myself! This little girl, with all these big strong guys, doesn't fall out on big tough rapids! GO ME! When the entire boat got dumped, other rafts came to "save" us and pull us out of the water before we floated down river. Apparently, everyone wanted to save the girl! I had three groups around me trying to drag me into their rafts, and at one point, two different rafts were playing tug-of-war with me and pulling on my life vest, trying to get me into their boat at the same time! Too funny! Overall, it was an awesome experience and I can't wait to do it again! Eddie the Guide even came up to me that night and said "Ya know... when I saw I had a small girl in my raft, with all these big guys, I thought for sure that I'd be saving your ass every 10 minutes! Good job staying in the raft today.. You definitely impressed me!" Woo hoo! This is me, Eddie, and all the boys, after conquering Class V Rapids!

Cross that one off the list! - White water rafting

No comments:

Post a Comment