Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just Do Something... Aim for the Sky

Every one has a goal in life, something they must do before they leave this planet forever. I know that sounds like a generalization, but if it wasn’t true, why would we all keep trucking along through the day-to-day monotony?

Some people have small goals, like try Thai food. Other people have big goals, like get married and have a family (yes I think that is a big goal, even though it is a societal norm). But overall, everyone has hopes, dreams, and goals.

Did you ever see the movie “The Bucket List?” I didn’t. But I know the general plot is that two old men start doing all the things they want to do before they “kick the bucket” a.k.a die.

I liked this idea… but with a positive spin on it.

I decided to start doing all the things I want to do while I’m alive. From that idea, grew my “Life List.”

But before I tell you about my list, let me tell you a little bit about myself. (I’ll keep it as short as a wordy person like me can manage.)

I’m adventurous but cautious. I’m spontaneous but I write lists all the time. Crossing things off my list gives me a thrill similar to jumping out of a plane (And trust me I would know… but more on that later). I love to exaggerate but I’ve been taught to tell the truth… that’s what you get when your father’s motto is “Everything is made better with exaggeration,” but you’ve had 4 years of “journalistic integrity” shoved down your throat at school. I love writing with ellipses…, (parenthesis), and emoticons :-). I’m a lover and a fighter, but whatever I do, I do with passion. And I love to DO things.

So I wrote down all the things I want to do in my life… and I am continually adding to it because, hell, I was only 20 when I made my list. How was I supposed to know EVERYTHING I want to do in life? I think it is important to have goals and to have things to look forward to… it keeps the humdrum out of life. By doing new and exciting things, it adds a little spice to my life. And I get through each day by planning and dreaming of those new things.

Some of my goals are short term things that I can complete in one day. Some things will take me years to accomplish. Other items on my list may take me my whole life to do. But my goal is to cross off at least 2 things on my list each year.

In this blog, I plan to back-track through the things I have already done and tell you about my experiences. Then, I’ll write about the next thing I’m planning to do and write again once I’ve done it.

I hope this blog will allow me flex my little-used, semi-creative writing skills (I work in local news and it is not the best place for creative, personal writing). This will also be a personal memoir so I can remember all the cool things I’ve done in my life… and I hope it inspires you to get out there and just DO something... Aim for the sky.


PS – My next entry will showcase The Life List so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment